Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Interviews With Hideous Men

Yesterday, Sarah and I watched "Interviews With Hideous Men," a movie based on a novel by David Foster Wallace. In it, the main character, a female grad student of Anthropology, interviews several men who have severe issues.

When the movie was over, we didn't really like it.  I felt unfulfilled, and Sarah said she didn't like it.  However, it stuck in my head, kept turning over and over, developing, fleshing out.  New revelations about the material and its presentation kept coming forth in my head. The movie eventually sparked a long discussion between Sarah and I where we discussed and analyzed various parts of the film. We talked about characters, their flaws, motivations, whether their actions were justified, etc.

Long story short, now I want to read the book.