Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Adventures in Amateur Game Design, part 5: What I haven't figured out.

There are many things that I still haven't figured out how I want them to work. I certainly haven't figured out what I want the specific abilities to be. There are major systems that I still need to nail down first.

Attacking
I know that I want attacking to be on a d10 system, that much is sure. What I don't know is how many attacks players might get, if they get multiple attacks at all. I don't know how I want to do damage, or even health. If I have health scale with level, then I feel like I should do a multiple attack system like in D&D, but I don't really like the multiple attack system.

Stat/Skill Increases
I want the character's stats and skills to increase as they level, but again, I don't know how I want to do this. There's the White Wolf system where you get points that can be invested in things, where things with a higher value require more points to raise. On the other hand, there's the D&D system where stat and skill increases come automatically as you gain levels.

Health
Should I have health scale with your level or should I have health scale directly with your constitution and nothing else? Which system I use then has drastic ramifications for how healing and damage will work.

Setting
At this stage, I don't really know what I want the setting to be like. The original vikings versus dragons idea could stick around, but it's going to need to be much, much more to compelling. I think I'll start by designing a campaign and then working things around that.

Since I've started my full-time job, I've had drastically less time to think about this game, as you might imagine. I've also had drastically less time to blog. So updates will probably be less frequent.