Monday, September 19, 2011

Death

An elderly friend of mine died yesterday. She fell in her kitchen, where she laid for seven hours before she could reach her lifealert button (which she kept in her pocket, instead of around her neck) and the paramedics could come. She received great emergency care and surgery to fix the broken bones, but succumbed to infection a couple days later. We had time to see the inevitable end coming, which dampened the effect that it had on us.

This is the first personal death that's happened to me as an adult. The last one was my maternal grandfather when I was 12 or 13 (I think) and before that my paternal grandfather before I can remember. It's certainly been a unique event. It hasn't really been sad for me yet, but I suspect that will come.

The experience so far has been more contemplative really, causing me to think about my own future death, as well as other things.

I don't have a good conclusion for this. It's just going to end.