Thursday, October 6, 2011

Potpourri


My supervisor has a somewhat lax time policy. Because of it I work an extra 30 to 40 minutes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Thus gets me out an extra 2 to 2.5 hours early on Friday. It's really nice.

I played the demo for Eufloria on the PSN. It was pretty fun. It's a stylistically distinct RTS-esque game not unlike Mushroom Wars. I'll probably be buying it. I'm also thinking of getting a Playstation+ subscription. I buy enough off of there for it to pay for itself.

I've started reading Reamde. I'm only about 50 pages in at this point but it's really grabbed me. It starts at a family reunion in present time. The main character is of the baby boomer generation. It really captures that weird feeling I always had at large family gatherings when I was growing up because of the large generational differences. The grandparents are very traditional and low tech. The baby boomers grew up in that traditional way but have embraced the technology of today. The children didn't grow up on the farm and know nothing of the traditional ways but have greatly embraced technology which causes this disconnect, lack of understanding and resentment between the generations. It really resonated with me.

I've started bringing headphones to work. If I'm doing something thought intensive I listen to music. If it's not thought intensive I listen to podcasts. I currently listen to the Nitpixels podcast for gaming, the Weekly Weinersmith for science/geekdom, and the Savage Lovecast for all that provides. I always find the Savage Lovecast to be interesting.

Also, The Magicians is going to be made into a television show. So, I might talk about that if/when details come out. ANYWHO. Bye.